Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
Ages: Babies (6m+) to Teens
Difficulty: Easy peasy
Makes: 2 small bowls
- 2 sweet apples, we used pink lady apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 dates
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel and chop the apples into long slices.
- Place the apple slices in a bowl and add in the olive oil and cinnamon.
- Stir until the apple pieces are fully coated in the oil and cinnamon.
- Take a baking dish and fill with water to about 1 cm depth.
- Add in the apple pieces and spread them out, making sure that each piece has its own space.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- In the meantime create your date caramel.
- Place the 3 dates in a saucepan with water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the dates, reserving the water.
- Place them in a blender and blend, gradually adding back the reserved water as you do so to create the right consistency. You want it to be like a thick sauce.
- Place your date caramel in a small bowl for dipping your apple slices in, or you can drizzle it over the baked apples.
Baby dessert, baked apples and date caramel – our step by step guide:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Peel and chop the apples into long pieces that babies and toddlers can grab onto.
Place the apple slices in a bowl together with the cinnamon and oil.
Stir the apples with your hands or with a spoon until they are all well coated with oil and cinnamon.
Take a baking tray and fill with water to about 1 cm depth.
Spread the apple slices out in the baking tray, making sure that each piece has its own space.
Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
In the meantime you can make your date caramel.
Place the dates in a saucepan of water and boil for 10 minutes.
When soft and boiled, drain the dates reserving the water.
Place in a blender and gradually add enough water to make a thick paste.
Your delicious date caramel sauce is ready.
Serve your baked apples with your date caramel either as a dip or as a sauce drizzled over your apple slices.
If babies are very young, you can mash up the apple pieces with a fork to make it easier for them to enjoy the soft baked apple centres.
Enjoy this delicious baby dessert with the whole family.