Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes cooking, 2 hours chilling
Ages: Toddlers to Teens
Difficulty: Easy Peasy
Makes: 10 bars
- 2 ½ cups of rolled oats
- ½ cup of almonds, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of dried apricots, roughly chopped
- ½ cup of dessicated coconut
- ¼ cup of mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a small square or rectangular baking tin with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Spread oats and chopped almonds evenly over a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, turning half way through. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl to cool for a few minutes.
- Put the butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla extract into a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until the butter is melted and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the butter mixture into the oats and stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the dried apricots, coconut and chocolate chips to the mixture and stir until everything is well distributed.
- Press the granola mixture into the prepared baking tin with the back of the spoon.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the granola from the fridge and turn out onto a cutting board.
- Cut into 12 bars.
Our step-by-step guide:
Spread your oats and almonds out evenly over a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
Turn them once about halfway through.
Meanwhile, put your butter, brown sugar, vanilla and honey into a small saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until everything is melted and well combined.
Mix the butter mixture into the nuts and oats.
You want everything moistened with the liquid.
Add your dried apricots, coconut and chocolate chips into the mixture.
It’s fine if your chocolate chips melt a little.
Transfer the granola to your prepared baking pan.
Press everything down with the back of a wooden spoon.
Make sure that everything is compacted in the tin; you want the granola bars to hold together.
Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Remove the granola from the fridge and turn out onto a cutting board.
Cut into 10 bars.