Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 15-20 mins
Ages: Toddlers to Teens
Difficulty: Easy peasy
Makes: 4 servings
- 700 grams of sweet apples (1½ pounds)
- 240 ml of water (1 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
- 2 Teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- Peel and roughly chop the apples
- In a medium sized pan combine apples, maple syrup or honey, cinnamon, lemon juice and water.
- Simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the mixture, retaining the water.
- Place it in a food processor. Add enough of the retained fluid to create a thick sauce and blend until smooth.
- Adjust maple syrup and cinnamon to taste.
Homemade apple sauce – our step by step guide:
Peel and chop your apples.
Place your apples, water, cinnamon, lemon juice and maple syrup or honey, into a saucepan and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until everything is soft.
Drain the apples and retain the water.
Add them to a food processory, slowly adding in as much water as you want to create the right consistency.
If you like a chunkier applesauce, go ahead and mash the apples up with a wooden spoon or a potato masher.
Serve alongside waffles for breakfast or turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.