Ages: Toddlers to teens
Makes: 12 muffins
- 500g plain white flour
- 125g granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250g whole milk mixed with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or 250g of buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 100ml honey
- 75g of butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g peeled and diced pear
Optional maple syrup glaze
- 60g unsalted butter
- 125ml pure maple syrup
- 250g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) fan setting.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners or coat pan in cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and lemon juice (or buttermilk), butter, honey, egg and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir the pears in.
- Fill muffin cups and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Optional maple syrup glaze:
In a small pan over medium heat stir together the butter and maple syrup. Once the butter has melted, remove from heat and add icing sugar. Stir until well combined. Set aside to cool and thicken.
Our step-by-step guide:
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) fan setting.
Whisk together all your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
In a small bowl whisk together the milk (mixed with lemon juice), honey, melted butter and vanilla.
Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in in your pears.
Fill the muffin liners ¾ full and put in the oven to bake for approximately 20 min.
Remove muffins from the oven and spoon optional maple syrup glaze over the tops.